Home Sri Lanka: Marriot Weligama Resort and Spa
- East West Properties PLC, owned by Nahil Wijesuriya, signs hotel management agreement with Marriott International hotel chain to manage the company’s Rs 3 billion hotel in Weligama.
- The resort will open under the brand category of Marriott Hotels and Resorts in March 2014.
- Mr. Wijesuriya chose Weligama, located 143 kilometers from Colombo, because it is a popular tourist destination renowned for its sandy stretch of beaches.
- The room rate of this 200-room hotel would be around US$ 133. He said that Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibitions (MICE) are a potential area they’re targeting for the resort.
- Originally slated to be under Marriott Hotels’ ‘Courtyard’ brand, which is slightly lower echelon in their brands, but ended up as Marriott Hotels and Resorts, which is a higher brand category as they were aiming for ‘higher standards’.
- He noted that Sri Lanka is becoming too costly as a destination. “The minimum room rates in Colombo guarantee that we’ll be expensive,” Highlighting that Sri Lanka needs to be conscious of regional pricing.
- The company is planning to construct more world-class hotels and resorts in Colombo, Kandy, Hambantota, and Trincomalee as well as in the cultural triangle in the near future.